- Language: en
Contributing to Django¶
Django is a community that lives on its volunteers. As it keeps growing, we always need more people to help others. You can contribute in many ways, either on the framework itself or in the wider ecosystem.
Work on the Django framework¶
The work on Django itself falls into three major areas:
Writing code 💻¶
Fix a bug, or add a new feature. You can make a pull request and see your code in the next version of Django!
Start from the Writing code docs.
Writing documentation ✍️¶
Django’s documentation is one of its key strengths. It’s informative and thorough. You can help to improve the documentation and keep it relevant as the framework evolves.
See Writing documentation for more.
Contributing guide 📖¶
If you think working with Django is fun, wait until you start working on it. Really, ANYONE can do something to help make Django better and greater!
This contributing guide contains everything you need to know to help build the Django web framework. Browse the following sections to find out how:
- Advice for new contributors
- Reporting bugs and requesting features
- Triaging tickets
- Writing code
- Writing documentation
- The Django documentation process
- How the documentation is organized
- How to start contributing documentation
- Writing style
- Commonly used terms
- Django-specific terminology
- Guidelines for reStructuredText files
- Django-specific markup
- Documenting new features
- Minimizing images
- An example
- Translating documentation
- Localizing Django
- Committing code
Join the Django community ❤️¶
We’re passionate about helping Django users make the jump to contributing members of the community. There are several other ways you can help the Django community and others to maintain a great ecosystem to work in:
- Join the Django forum. This forum is a place for discussing the Django framework and applications and projects that use it. This is also a good place to ask and answer any questions related to installing, using, or contributing to Django.
- Join the django-users mailing list and answer questions. This mailing list has a huge audience, and we really want to maintain a friendly and helpful atmosphere. If you’re new to the Django community, you should read the posting guidelines.
- Join the Django Discord server or the #django IRC channel on Libera.Chat to discuss and answer questions. By explaining Django to other users, you’re going to learn a lot about the framework yourself.
- Blog about Django. We syndicate all the Django blogs we know about on the community page; if you’d like to see your blog on that page you can register it here.
- Contribute to open-source Django projects, write some documentation, or release your own code as an open-source pluggable application. The ecosystem of pluggable applications is a big strength of Django, help us build it!
We’re looking forward to working with you. Welcome aboard! ⛵️