Everything you need to know about Django (and then some).
Having trouble? We’d like to help!
- Try the FAQ – it’s got answers to many common questions.
- Looking for specific information? Try the Index, Module Index or the detailed table of contents.
- Search for information in the archives of the django-users mailing list, or post a question.
- Ask a question in the #django IRC channel, or search the IRC logs to see if it’s been asked before.
- Report bugs with Django in our ticket tracker.
The model layer¶
- Models: Model syntax | Field types | Meta options
- QuerySets: Executing queries | QuerySet method reference
- Model instances: Instance methods | Accessing related objects
- Advanced: Managers | Raw SQL | Transactions | Aggregation | Custom fields | Multiple databases
- Other: Supported databases | Legacy databases | Providing initial data | Optimize database access
The template layer¶
The view layer¶
- The basics: URLconfs | View functions | Shortcuts | Decorators
- Reference: Request/response objects | TemplateResponse objects
- File uploads: Overview | File objects | Storage API | Managing files | Custom storage
- Generic views: Overview | Built-in generic views
- Advanced: Generating CSV | Generating PDF
- Middleware: Overview | Built-in middleware classes
The development process¶
- Settings: Overview | Full list of settings
- Exceptions: Overview
- django-admin.py and manage.py: Overview | Adding custom commands
- Testing: Overview
- Deployment: Overview | Apache/mod_wsgi | Apache/mod_python | FastCGI/SCGI/AJP | Apache authentication | Handling static files | Tracking code errors by e-mail
Other batteries included¶
- Admin site | Admin actions | Admin documentation generator
- Cache system
- Conditional content processing
- Comments | Moderation | Custom comments
- Content types
- Cross Site Request Forgery protection
- E-mail (sending)
- Jython support
- “Local flavor”
- Static Files
- Syndication feeds (RSS/Atom)
- Unicode in Django
- Web design helpers
- Function-based generic views (Deprecated) Overview | Built-in generic views | Migration guide
The Django open-source project¶
- Community: How to get involved | The release process | Team of committers | The Django source code repository
- Design philosophies: Overview
- Documentation: About this documentation
- Third-party distributions: Overview
- Django over time: API stability | Release notes and upgrading instructions | Deprecation Timeline