An attribute on a model; a given field usually maps directly to a single database column.
- generic view
A higher-order view function that provides an abstract/generic implementation of a common idiom or pattern found in view development.
See Generic views.
Models store your application’s data.
- See mtv.
- Model-view-controller; a software pattern. Django follows MVC to some extent.
- A Python package – i.e. a directory of code – that contains all the settings for an instance of Django. This would include database configuration, Django-specific options and application-specific settings.
Also known as “managed attributes”, and a feature of Python since version 2.2. From the property documentation:Properties are a neat way to implement attributes whose usage resembles attribute access, but whose implementation uses method calls. [...] You could only do this by overriding __getattr__ and __setattr__; but overriding __setattr__ slows down all attribute assignments considerably, and overriding __getattr__ is always a bit tricky to get right. Properties let you do this painlessly, without having to override __getattr__ or __setattr__.
An object representing some set of rows to be fetched from the database.
See Making queries.
A short label for something, containing only letters, numbers, underscores or hyphens. They’re generally used in URLs. For example, in a typical blog entry URL:
the last bit (spring) is the slug.
A chunk of text that acts as formatting for representing data. A template helps to abstract the presentation of data from the data itself.
- A function responsible for rending a page.
Having trouble? We'd like to help!
- Try the FAQ — it's got answers to many common questions.
- Search for information in the archives of the django-users mailing list, or post a question.
- Ask a question in the #django IRC channel, or search the IRC logs to see if it has been asked before.
- If you notice errors with this documentation, please open a ticket and let us know! Please only use the ticket tracker for criticisms and improvements on the docs. For tech support, use the resources above.